“Founded on May 15, 1851, Alpha Delta Pi is the oldest secret society for college women in the world. Established at Wesleyan College in Macon, Georgia, the first college chartered to grant degrees to women in the world, the story of Alpha Delta Pi is a remarkable one and it all began with a young girl's dream.
Eugenia Tucker was just sixteen years old when she left her family home in Laurens County, Georgia, to enter Wesleyan College. Before the end of her first year, she would establish the first sorority in the world.”
When Eugenia Tucker decided to form a society, her dearest and most admired friends were asked to join her. She listed them in her journal as Ella Pierce, daughter of a bishop; Octavia Andrew, daughter of a bishop; Bettie Williams of South Carolina; Sophronia Woodruff; and Mary A. Evans, daughter of a useful and beloved pastor of Macon Mulberry Street Methodist Church for several years.
1851: Alpha Delta Pi was founded by Eugenia Tucker on May 15th as the Adelphean Society, making it the first secret society for women.
1905: The Adelphean Society changed its name to Alpha Delta Phi and became a national organization. Beta Chapter was established at Salem College in Winston-Salem.
1906: Gamma Chapter was founded at Mary Baldwin Seminary. The first National Convention was held in Macon, Georgia.
1907: The first The Adelphean of Alpha Delta Pi magazine was published.
1909: Alpha Delta Phi joined the National Panhellenic Conference.
1911: Elizabeth Moseley Coles was elected the first National President.
1913: The Convention body changed the name of the organization to Alpha Delta Pi, adopted a recognition pin, and appointed a standardization committee. The trustees at Wesleyan Female College voted to abolish sororities.
1915: The coat of arms was modified to include a lion rampart with a background of violets and the English version of the open motto: “We live for each other.”
1929: Beta Zeta was installed at the University of Toronto, making ADPi an international organization.
1979: Alpha Delta Pi adopted the Ronald McDonald House as the national philanthropy.
1983: The Alpha Delta Pi Foundation was established.
1999: Alpha Delta Pi ushers in the digital age by launching its first website.
2001: Alpha Delta Pi celebrated its 150th Anniversary.
2003: The new Executive Office building was completed.
2005: Memorial Headquarters renovation was completed.
2011: Alpha Delta Pi becomes the first sorority to celebrate 160 years of sisterhood.
29 People | 27 Impacts | 148 Hours